European Centre for Bioinformatics and Genomics (ECBiG) was established as a consortium of Poznan University of Technology and the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Science. Innovative potential of ECBiG has been noticed and appreciated by the Polish Ministry of Sciences and Education. In 2013, ECBiG has been placed on the Polish Roadmap for Research Infrastructures, including 53 projects considered as strategic points for the development of Polish science and economy. European Centre for Bioinformatics and Genomics, as the only project from the region of Wielkopolska, has been assigned to the group of key initiatives having an impact in the scope of medical sciences.
- to understand the mechanisms of complex biological systems and disease processes
- to discover new ways to cure and prevent human diseases
The rationale of ECBiG activities is providing facilities, tools and databases for multi-scale and multi-level studies of biological systems. The ECBiG infrastructure enables comprehensive studies of biological systems in the structural and functional genomics, supported by bioinformatics approaches. By a combination of sophisticated modern experimental techniques with computational analysis and modeling, the proposed infrastructure allows for integration of data from various levels of genetic information expression and various magnitude of biological systems' complexity.
European Centre for Bioinformatics and Genomics is an interdisciplinary research center, created by consolidation of scientific and infrastructural potentials of two well recognized national institutions: Poznan University of Technology and the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, which are members of the ECBiG consortium. Main activities of ECBiG are:
- conducting research in structural and functional genomics and bioinformatics,
- undertaking technological, developmental and implementation research initiatives,
- undertaking joint research projects,
- exchange of experiences and cooperation between consortium members through joint marketing activities, meetings, joint seminars, conferences, etc.,
- providing access to modern technologies, methods and tools to external users on terms of scientific cooperation or technical and laboratory services, consistent with the statutes of the consortium members,
- dissemination of research results,
- organization of educational and training programs for students, scientists, medical care staff and industry staff,
- close cooperation between ECBiG and national or international institutes,
- science popularization initiatives,
- serving community by knowledge transfer initiatives and organization of meetings to increase their perception and understanding of current state of the art in science,
- facing the expectations of young people (students) interesting in start-up creation using novel technologies and working in biotechnological area as a center that can improve their knowledge and experience.
The overall objective of the project creating European Centre for Bioinformatics and Genomics (supported by EU grants) was the development of research potential of Wielkopolska region by equipping ECBiG with a modern, specialized and unique research infrastructure.
Other specific objectives arising from the general objective of the project are as follows:
- improving the competitiveness of Polish science,
- raising the qualifications of researchers,
- increasing the transfer from R&D (research and development) to economy.
The general objective has been achieved through the creation of ten experimental and computational laboratories. They constitute an effective research organization, gathering the entire path of genomic and bioinformatics research in one place, and allowing the linking of all levels of analysis (structural, functional and systematic). The integration of the scientific process is realized by a specialized research equipment that can be used nationwide and worldwide. In addition, those favorable conditions for conducting high quality research will contribute to the use of modern solutions in a socio-economic practice.
Technologies employed within ECBiG are extremely cost-intensive and required support of the EU Structural Funds. Moreover, the consortium members in the past 5 years led over 30 research projects and investment projects worth over 1 million each.
Research specialization of ECBiG allows the entrance to the global trends in technology of genomic and bio-informatics research. The experience of the team is not only a guarantee of achievement of the objectives of the project but also the acceleration of the development of knowledge-based economy.
Scientific routes of many researchers cross in ECBiG - the place where passion, knowledge and imagination meet to create novel solutions in science and technology. We attract the best researchers and students from Wielkopolska region, experienced in life sciences, bioinformatics computing science and other fields.
Fully equippped ECBiG laboratories are dedicated to both in vitro and in silico experimental research and data analysis as well. Laboratory of sequencing, nano - and biosystems, structural analysis of proteins and nucleic acids, and many more open their door to novel projects, challenging ideas, big data and hard computational tasks. We welcome researchers, students and visitors from all over the world!